The Nurse Manager supports the mission, philosophy, goals, and objectives of the hospital and the individual Nursing Department and is responsible for the effective implementation of nursing operations for assigned unit(s).
JOB SPECIFIC ACTIVITIES:
1. Maintains consistency with Administrative and Departmental policies with appropriate behavior, dress, attitude, attendance, confidentiality, professionalism, and reliability.
2. Represents facility in community activities as means of promoting the organization and its mission as evidenced by:
* Membership in civic organizations such as Lions Club, Heart Association, Rotary, etc.
* Active participation in local professional chapters
* Participation in Health Care Center community activities such as Duck Race, Randy Sams Shelter, Health Fairs, etc.
3. Assures areas of responsibility are in compliance with regulatory agencies including educating all appropriate parties and seeking Process Improvement as evidenced by:
* TJC, CAP, and OSHA standards
* State and Federal regulations
* Patient, Physician and Associate Satisfaction Surveys
* Internal and external audits
* Improved policies, procedures, and practices
* Comparison of department or area outcomes to other CHRISTUS facilities
4. Maintains focus on providing a safe work environment. Pro-actively designs & implements an organized process to address Safety/Risk Management issues as evidenced by:
* Attendance at Department Safety/Risk Management education programs
* Implements annual Department Safety/Risk Management plan
* Safety variances trends
* Has expected rates of injuries, lost days, etc. for similar types of departments or areas
5. Takes initiative and identifies opportunities to deal with issues including customer complaints and associate related issues including staffing, retention, recruitment, turnover, communication, performance management, etc. as evidenced by:
* Associate, Patient, and Physician Satisfaction Surveys
* Regulatory Compliance
* Process Improvement activities
* Turnover Rates
* Department Meeting minutes
* Provide examples of initiatives taken to better meet customer needs and/or organizational goals
6. Ensures the competence of all staff members is assessed, evaluated, demonstrated, maintained, and improved continually. Ensures staff compliance with education requirements and encourages staff involvement in activities that support the organization as evidenced by:
* TJC Standards
* Department Education records
* Healthstream (HLC) records
* Department Meeting minutes including Compliance topics as appropriate
* Regulatory compliance
* Department Orientation for new staff
* Associate Progress Reviews and, if necessary, Work Performance Counselings
* Needs Assessment
7. Meets Management Behavioral Expectations as evidenced by:
* Timely completion of 100% to 95% of annual and introductory period Associate Progress Reviews prior to or within the 5 day grace period.
* Meets agreed upon due dates such as complete and meaningful Service Line Reports, Department Payroll approvals, Budgets, Special Projects, Potential Compensatory Events, Quality Reporting, and Fire Drill documentation.
* Supports Communication Plan by holding regular monthly department meetings, attending 75% of regularly scheduled Management Meetings, attending majority of Associate Town Meetings, and attending Cultural Diversity, Integrity training or other mandatory meetings.
* Shares Patient and Associate Satisfaction survey results in department meetings as recorded in department meeting minutes.
8. Operating and capital budgets are effectively developed, monitored, and managed. Efforts are undertaken to control or reduce cost and/or reduce inventory levels while improving outcomes as evidenced by:
* Budgeted Units of Service and controlling costs by Units of Service
* Process Improvement opportunities identified and/or implemented
* Needs Assessments
* Feasibility studies and analyses
* Comparative bench marking database
* Internal Standards
9. Actively identifies new customers. Promotes new or expanded services as a means to increase revenue or enhance/compliment current services as evidenced by:
* Customer, Patient, and Physician Satisfaction Surveys
* Feasibility Studies and Analysis
* Business Progress Reviews and Follow-up
* Community Needs Assessment