| The Health Officer and Service Chief of Public Health Services for the Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services is responsible for: |
• Oversight management of the Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services Public Health and related programs
• Formulation, development and execution of health programs reflecting state and local needs
• Application and or enforcement of appropriate state laws and regulations of the Secretary of the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Montgomery County and Ordinances of municipalities within the County.
• Function as a key member of the integrated and interoperable Health and Human Services leadership team of the Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services (MCDHHS)
Essential job functions and other assigned duties:
1. Administer public health programs for Montgomery County including management of personnel, funds, facilities and all assets of the public health services (PHS) area within MCDHHS. As the chief of PHS, administer the operating budget comprised of core public health funding, County general funds, federal and state grant funding and other fund sources including billing of Medicaid and third party billing efforts and revenues derived from fee collection. Reallocated budgetary and PHS resources within PHS to maximize service output.
2. Enforces federal, state and county laws, rules and regulations to protect the public health and safety of the populations including environmental health rules. Executes policies and procedures established by the state and the county as they relate to health matters applicable to Montgomery County. Directs the development and revision of PH related departmental policies and procedures in accord with these rules and regulations.
3. Responsible for the monitoring of mortality, morbidity and other disease trends; investigation and control of disease outbreaks; and informs elected officials regarding urgent and emerging health concerns
4. Responsible for development, promotion and management of public health programs for Montgomery County. Ensures clinical oversight by providing medical oversight and by accessing expertise of other medical and health professionals. Responsible for evaluating community needs and initiating new programs as deemed necessary to meet State and County objectives and to achieve a health population. Decides retention, expansion or abolition of program services and other PHS and HHS wide departmental resources. Integrates the plans, activities and staffing of PHS programs and operations.
5. Provides policy guidance related to interpretation and possible promulgation of federal, state and county laws, rule as and regulations pertaining to the administration of PHS. Provides testimony to the state legislature and the County Council as appropriate concerning new or amended legislation affecting PHS
6. Works as a key member of the MCDHHS Senior Leadership Team and support Enterprise-Wide integration and interpretability efforts
7. Supports a 21st Century public health modernization efforts in Montgomery County which would involve Health Information Technology and technology modernization efforts, Community Health Needs Assessments, Community Health improvement processes, billing and reimbursement with third party payers and innovative partnerships and a focus on evidence informed practices
8. Guide and supports a strong healthcare for the uninsured agenda and prioritize a focus on eliminating health disparities
9. Support and maintain PHS accreditation
10. Build a strong prevention and treatment continuum in partnership with public and private partners and stakeholders aimed at sustaining the County as healthiest county in Maryland and improving health outcomes equitable for all residents of Montgomery County.
11. Develops and presents operating and capital budgets and operational plans as part of the HHS senior leadership team to the County Executive, County Council and Department of Health and Mental Hygiene as prescribed by the State and the County
12. Represents the Department Director, County Executive and Secretary of the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene at meetings and conferences with executive level officials and elected officials with federal, state and county government
13. Participate in local boards and commissions, support the County Council when it sits as the Board of Health, participate in advisory committees and other policy workgroups at the local, state and national levels to support a strong PH agenda
14. Provide leadership in disseminating public health knowledge. Develops and sustains effective relationships with citizens, providers, community organizations and other public agencies as appropriate. Quality Improvement/Data Analysis - monitor, analyze and utilize Federal, State, and Local public health related data to inform programming, policy, and budgeting.
15. Build and strengthen workforce development activities and relationships with local schools that support Public Health - engage in activities that enhance and improve the knowledge, skills, and abilities of current workforce; participate in physician resident and other student intern practicums with local higher-education institutions to encourage recruitment of future public health and HHS employees as well as a general workforce with an eye to population health.
16. Public Health Emergency Preparedness - work with Federal, State, and County programs with a focus on Public Health Emergency Preparedness and Response, and Homeland Security as they related to the DC/MD/VA area including COG.
17. Maintaining a strong relationship with local public and private schools related to School Health, Communicable Disease in schools, and other public health related activities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of medicine, with special emphasis on preventive medicine.
• Extensive knowledge of public health administration including the organization and operation of preventive medical programs applicable to child, adult, and mental health, communicable disease control, environmental health, public health nursing and health education.
• Extensive knowledge of County and State laws, ordinances and regulations governing public health.
• Skill in planning, organizing, coordinating, and directing a variety of public health programs and activities.
• Skill in gaining effective cooperation with community groups and planning organizations concerned with public health and establishing and maintaining good relations with professional and lay groups.
• Skill in enforcing all laws, ordinances and regulations relating to public health.
• Skill in directing public health research and statistical studies.
• Skill in negotiating agreements which accommodate the conflicting interests and viewpoints of numerous groups and organizations.
• Skill in oral and written communication sufficient to develop defenses of, and justifications for, decisions reached.
• Possession of a valid license to practice medicine issued by the Maryland State Board of Medical Examiners or the ability to quickly acquire such license. There will be no substitutions for this section.
Experience: Extensive (seven (7) years) experience as a public health physician, with preferably four (4) years in a supervisory or administrative capacity.
To Apply: To obtain further information or to apply for the position, please contact Gregg A. Moser at Krauthamer & Associates, email@example.com