The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control is seeking a Physician Epidemiologist to serve as the Assistant State Epidemiologist in their Bureau of Communicable Disease Prevention and Control. SC DHEC is an organization with 3200 employees and 100 locations across South Carolina. Headquartered in Columbia, SC, SC DHEC works to improve the quality of life for all South Carolinians by protecting and promoting the health of the public and the environment. The Assistant State Epidemiologist is responsible for providing leadership and medical/epidemiological consultation to the CDPC programs, other agency programs and the general public.
• Serves as the Assistant State Epidemiologist. Provides support for all divisions of the Bureau of Communicable Disease Prevention and Control to include the STD/HIV Division, Immunization Division, TB Division and Division of Acute Disease Epidemiology (DADE).
• Provides medical and epidemiological consultation and training to DADE, including Public Health Regions and other public health professionals, health care providers and the public for surveillance and control of communicable diseases in general.
• Provides medical consultation and leadership to the Division of Acute Disease Epidemiology for development of policies and procedures and guidance documents with a focus on science-based and data-driven decisions, legal mandates and public health practices.
• Assists with media requests, emergency preparedness efforts, and preparation for potentially emerging infectious diseases.
• Supervises the bureau's Communication Liaison and provides oversight for the surveillance section.
• Assists with or directs outbreak control measures in cooperation with DHEC staff and other medical practitioners; assists with the analysis, interpretation, and translation of disease surveillance data for program, planning and evaluation.
• Participates in the on-call rotation (during working hours, nights, weekends and holidays) for disease reporting and emergency response.
• Represents the agency on national, regional, state and local committees as necessary.
Education and Experience Requirements:
• MD or DO from an accredited institution and completion of an internship or one (1) year of residency training in family medicine/internal medicine, preventive medicine or pediatrics.
• Two (2) years' experience in public health. EIS experience is accepted.
• A Master's in Public Health or relevant degree can be substituted for the two (2) years' experience.
• Licensed or eligible for license to practice medicine in South Carolina; license must be obtained within a specified time period and retained to maintain the job.
All interested candidates must complete the application on the State of SC Careers site (www.careers.sc.gov).
Here is the link for the application: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sc/jobs/2155049/physician?department=DHEC-PH%20Central%20Office&sort=PositionTitle%7CAscending&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Internal Number: 61006895/79738
About SC DHEC
The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) is the state regulatory agency charged with promoting and protecting the state's public health and its land, air, coastal resources and water quality as authorized by federal and state law.
The agency has approximately 3,500 employees serving across the state whose work makes a difference in the lives of South Carolinians every day. The agency provides a wide range of resources and services that support a vision of healthy people living in healthy communities.