A position in a Banner Health pharmacy is one you can look forward to. Join an engaging environment of full service, high technology and experience a wide variety of responsibilities. You'll also see how important a pharmacy job is to our ability to make life easier for our patients. Come enjoy great challenges and build both your knowledge of the field and your analytical skills.
The inpatient pharmacy at BUMCT provides medications to patients in all areas of the hospital. We dispense approximately 3,000,000 doses of medication annually. We service a very acutely ill population and provide a high level of pharmacy services to our patients 24 hours a day. Our Pharmacy Technicians have the opportunity to work in an inpatient pharmacy supporting a busy Level 1 Trauma Center, assisting with filling medications, stocking shelves, taking inventory, and delivering medications to our nursing units. We are looking for candidates who are self-motivated, seeking opportunities to learn and grow in our unique pharmacy setting.
The 340B Pharmacy Technician Specialist position plays a key role in overseeing the 340B program for regulatory compliance and to maximize program savings. You as a pharmacy technician specialist position will be able to provide assistance with the analysis of the financial reports and assurance of compliance with hospital and system policies. Your primary responsibility along with other tasks may require frequent involvement with nursing staff, and leaders of the facility that go beyond the role of a Pharmacy Technician I, II, and III. You as the pharmacy technician is able to serve as a liaison between the pharmacy and other departments with regard to the specific essential functions. (e.g. education of 340B regulations to end users). This is a Monday-Friday position, for 8 hours, and you will be required to work some evening, midnight and weekend shifts, based on projects and training needs.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
University Medical Center Tucson Banner - University Medical Center Tucson is nationally recognized for providing exceptional patientcare, teaching future health-care professionals andconducting groundbreaking research. Also located onthe campus is Diamond Children's - recognized for itsspecialized pediatric services including neonatal andintensive care, emergency medicine and cancer therapies.Banner - University Medical Center Tucson is SouthernArizona's only Level 1 Trauma Center, meaning we carefor the most critically injured patients. The hospital isconsistently listed among the nation's top hospitals in theprestigious Best Hospitals ranking by U.S. News & WorldReport. Our nurses' innovative, safe and thoughtful carehas been recognized with Magnet (tm) designation fromthe American Nurses Credentialing Center. The hospital'sphysicians are full-time faculty of the University of Arizona College of Medicine - Tucson. Our specialty servicesinclude comprehensive heart and cancer care, advancedneuroscience techniques and a multi-organ transplantprogram.
POSITION SUMMARY This position functions in a support capacity for technology systems related to pharmacy procurement as it relates to the 340b Federal Drug Discount Program. This includes implementation, monitoring, analysis, troubleshooting and maintenance of the related computer software systems and databases. Serves as the liaison with all necessary affiliated departments and personnel to ensure compliance of the program. This position is responsible for the 340b Drug Discount Program and the management of the split billing system to ensure ongoing compliance with the US Department of Health Services and Resources Administration (HRSA) and all state and federal regulations.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Provides support in the maintenance and updating of technology systems related to the 340b program. Coordinate information gathering process, including file building and configuration to ensure data integrity and compliance.
2. Serves as a resource to physicians, hospital personnel, and pharmacy staff in interpreting department/hospital/system policies. Regarding 340b software systems, acts as a resource, and may provide training to pharmacy staff and related personnel ensuring all parties have appropriate understanding of the system.
3. Monitors and evaluates system activities to ensure systems run properly. Coordinates with Banner IT personnel and vendors for upgrades and maintenance, as needed. Identifies and resolves problems with the 340b system, as well as assists in the development and implementation of programs to improve and enhance capture rate (savings) and program compliance. This includes analyzing data reports and educating staff on research findings, as well as troubleshooting and resolving issues with existing system programs.
4. Interpret data, make recommendations and implement inventory changes in order to maintain safe, appropriate and compliant purchasing of pharmaceuticals. Assists in medication procurement process on an as needed basis. Requires updating and maintaining an active formulary crosswalk in the split billing software. This includes maintaining and integrating information from the pharmacy charge master system into the 340b split-billing system and maintaining system databases to reflect changes in drug formulary or product specifications.
5. Analyzes financial reports generated by the technology systems for the pharmacy department. Requires review and audit of hospital systems for medications administered in eligible locations and mixed use areas. This would include ensuring only 340B eligible outpatients receive 340b medications as well as analyzing and correcting diversion. Presents reports to management and assists with the resolution of issues identified.
6. Assumes the duties of the Pharmacy Technician II when needed and as appropriate. These duties may include, but not be limited to preparing, charging and crediting medications, restocking automated dispensing technology and compounding specialty medications and intravenous medications.
7. Participates in the following aspects of medication use: selection, procurement and storage, and distribution. Internal customers may include Patients, Nurses, Licensed Independent Practitioners, Nursing Directors, Department Directors, Administrators and other health care team members for the purpose of integrating services, improving patient care and ensuring effective communication systems. External customers may include local, state, and national pharmacy organizations, Joint commission, State Board of Pharmacy, colleagues and peers, educational institutions, pharmaceutical representatives, HRSA and independent 340b consultant.
Requires pharmacy technician licensure in the state of practice (where applicable).
Pharmacy technician certification required.
Must demonstrate one to two years experience performing in a pharmacy technician role. Must also have proven experience working with automated technology systems related to pharmacy purchasing. Must possess good organizational, problem solving and computer skills. Must possess training in compounding intravenous medications and sterile products preparation. Must demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills, problem solving, and conflict resolution of the pharmacy department.
Must have knowledge of computer software, particularly Microsoft Excel and related applications as well as medication management information system.
Prefer experience as a Pharmacy Buyer in hospital pharmacy practice. Intermediate or Advanced skill level with Microsoft Excel preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
DATE APPROVED 10/20/2019
Internal Number: R3946
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.