Under the direct supervision of a Pharmacist, performs a wide variety of duties in the delivery of pharmaceutical care to patients in the ambulatory pharmacies. Meets various departmental standards, including but not limited to prescription turnaround times and medication dispensing accuracy. Upholds the mission, vision, values, and customer service standards of The MetroHealth System.
1. Under the direct supervision of a Pharmacist, performs a variety of duties, including:
a. Filling oral medications from manufacturer's containers into dispensing container in measured volumes/quantities as determined by the prescription.
b. Weighing, measuring, and mixing ingredients.
c. Compounding/preparing medications, emulsions, liquids, powders, and ointments with a variety of equipment.
2. Receives new prescriptions, refills, and renewal requests; ensures that required information is complete and accurate; processes prescription requests.
3. While working in designated areas, may schedule patient visits to facilitate prescription renewals after EPIC Cadence training is completed.
4. Notifies pharmacist when medications or allergy interactions are identified in the pharmacy computer system; has the pharmacist provide direction while handling such prescriptions.
5. Enters medication orders from the physician's prescription into the pharmacy computer system; matches labels to prescriptions in an accurate, timely manner.
6. Operates the cash register, receives cash, makes change, and balances cash receipts.
7. Performs a variety of clerical duties, including but not limited to answering telephone, receiving/relaying messages, routing calls, filing prescriptions, and reconciling rejected third party charges.
8. Maintains assigned work area in a neat, clean, and orderly manner.
9. Accurately/efficiently fills requests for stock supplies from appropriate requisitions or floor stock; receives/shelves/documents the receipt of drug supplies delivered by wholesalers.
10. Sets up, operates, and maintains various equipment (i.e. electronic tablet/capsule counters, packaging equipment, automatic pipettes, etc.).
11. Inspects drug storage areas in the ambulatory services areas.
12. Assists with organizing/filing all paperwork associated with the Pharmacist-based immunization program; demonstrates proficiency in all immunization billing.
13. Assist with carrying out, completing, and billing all aspects of The MetroHealth System’s Pharmacy Medication Therapy Management (MTM) program; processes and bills all types of MTM claims, including Comprehensive Medication Reviews (CMRs) and Targeted Intervention Program (TIPs) claims.
14. Keeps current with trends, developments, and practices in the field as they relate to this work assignment.
15. Incorporates principles of teamwork in the resolution, completion, and follow-up of responsibilities.
16. When assigned to the county correctional facility, replenishes, performs quality checks, and performs basic trouble-shooting procedures for patient care unit-based dispensing machines.
17. Performs other functionally related duties as assigned.
Required: High School Diploma or passage of a high school equivalency exam. 18 years of age or older with no felony convictions, per Ohio Revised Code 4729.42. Meets one of the following: • Current/active Certified Pharmacy Technician from the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB), OR obtains certification within 90 days of hire; maintains certification throughout the course of employment. • Possess an Exam for the Certification of Pharmacy Technicians (ExCPT) Certification from the National Healthcareer Association.
Meets one of the following: • Currently registered as a Certified Pharmacy Technician with the Ohio State Board of Pharmacy; maintains active registration throughout the course of employment. • Currently registered as a Registered Pharmacy Technician with the Ohio State Board of Pharmacy, AND becomes a registered Certified Pharmacy Technician within 90 days of hire; maintains active registration throughout the course of employment.
Willing and able to travel to external satellite locations, including having access to reliable transportation. Possess a current/valid driver’s license.
Preferred: 6 months of experience in a retail pharmacy or a hospital-based ambulatory pharmacy.
Physical Requirements: May sit, stand, stoop, bend, and ambulates intermittently during the day. May need to sit or stand for extended periods. See in the normal visual range with or without correction. Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction. Finger dexterity to operate office equipment required. May need to lift up to twenty-five (25) pounds on occasion. Ability to communicate in face-to-face, phone, email, and other communications. Ability to see computer monitor and departmental documents. Requires some exposure to biohazardous chemicals.
At MetroHealth, our mission, vision and values are not just words on a fading poster tucked behind someone’s desk. They are the core of our actions. While we take care of the ill and injured, we are increasingly focused on preventive care, fulfilling our mission of “leading the way to a healthier you and a healthier community through service, teaching, discovery and teamwork.”
We do this in an environment of inclusion — every patient gets the same full attention from our staff.